You have just adopted your new dog? Congratulations! 🙂
Bringing a new dog at home is an exciting experience, but it can also be a little bit daunting as well. 😳
Here is a list of 9 things you should do to make you new dog feel at home.
1. Get as much information you can about your new dog.
Ask and search about your new dog’s breed and behavior.
2. Shop for the necessary supplies.
What should be on your list :
- A machine washable dog bed to feel warm and cozy.
- A set of food and water bowls.
- Healthy food and treats.
- Dog toys.
- Waste bags.
- A leash, collar and harness.
- An ID tag.
- A dog nail grinder.
- Gentle dog shampoo.
- Ear wipes.
- Dog teeth cleaning products.
3. Dog-proof your house.
Remove or relocate things that your dog could eat or destroy.
4. Establish daily routines and stick to them.
Establishing daily routines which include scheduling feeding, playing and walks. Make sure that these routines take place at a similar time each day.
5. Take your dog outside.
Take your dog outside frequently to prevent accidents.
6. Prevent separation anxiety.
It is recommended to leave the house frequently for short periods in the beginning. Once your dog is comfortable with short departures, randomly include some longer departures. You can also give your dog a safe chew toy before you leave the house.
7. Make sure your dog feels safe and secure.
If your new dog is used to sleeping in a crate, make sure he can do so at your house too.
8. Take your new dog to the vet for an exam.
Schedule a first visit to your dog’s new veterinarian. You can also have your dog microchipped (If he’s or she’s not already).
9. Give your dog time to get used to the new home.
Your new dog will need some days or weeks to get used to the new home. Anxiety or a lack of appetite may be noticeable. By showing patience with your new dog, you will help him/her to appreciate you and the new home.